Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion DNS 10.0.0.1 Reverse record won’t die

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    paulievox
    Participant

I believe this was a bug at one point, which i learned after i setup DNS on my server.

Anyway, i have an internal DNS setup on a leopard server 10.5.4.
    My internal IP bank is of the 192 variety.

There still exists a default 0.0.10.in.addr.arpa from the example defaults from setup.
    There is obviously no forward record for this entry.

Is this gonna do me damage?
    Can i nuke it from named.conf / elsewhere in osx bind config?

thanks..

paulievox
    Participant

according to a post in

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7330432&#7330432

[i]There is also an extra Reverse Zone entry that cannot be deleted = 0.0.10.in-addr.arpa. with no Reverse Mapping.” Do you mean it can’t be deleted because it’s needed or you’ve tried to delete it and can’t? I assume it’s the later. If so you can ignore this errant reverse zone.[/i]
    [quote]
    Yes, that is correct and I am happy to ignore it! ;)[/quote]

I just want to see if anyone else has any experience with this, causing problems,
    removing, etc.

scorpioserve
    Participant

There is a way to get rid of the file 0.0.10.in-addr.arpa, what you have to do is, go into terminal and type these commands, I will try to explain as I go. All work done within Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 on an advanced installation.

// Make a backup of the file first, just in-case you would like to revert back at any stage, and rename it with the extension .backup, I like to do this through terminal as I know that it will not change the file permissions, but I always double check anyway.
    [code]sudo cp -R /private/etc/dns/publicView.conf.apple /private/etc/dns/publicView.conf.apple.backup[/code]
    // with the next command it is just a double check on the files permissions, so just make sure that they match up for the 2 files
    [code]ls -l /private/etc/dns/[/code]
    // Make sure Server Admin is not open, as we need to edit a file that is needed by the named.conf file as an include to get the view into Server Admin of all your zones

// Now you need to edit the file publicView.conf.apple like this
    [code]sudo pico /private/etc/dns/publicView.conf.apple[/code]
    // This will open the requested file into the pico text editor, you need to delete these lines of code in this file.
    [code] zone “0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.” {
    type master;
    file “db.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.”;
    allow-transfer {none;};
    allow-update {none;};
    };[/code]
    once this has been deleted you can use the “WriteOut” command and save your changes to the file, make sure you keep the name as it was so it will overwrite the correct file, then “exit” out of the pico text editor.

Now go to Server Admin and the extra zone should no longer be there.

Hope this helps anybody that was bothered by this extra entry in Server Admin.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed