An updated version of my WebObjects application that allows for user password changes and resets from a web page, released September 10, 2007.
At long last, the "Joel made me do it" release. Back in March, Joel Rennich posted an article to afp548.com, where he wrote: "A more secure way of handling the need for password resets would be to create a script, probably presented to the users as a webpage, that would allow a non-admin to change passwords only for non-admin users. I believe some of those among us have ginned something up along these lines. If you have we'd love for you to share." OK, it took me a while, but I finally got the bugs worked out. Here it is in all its lush, plush smoothness! The new features are:
- Configure the entry page
- Configure whether to show a link to the admin reset password page
- Configure the URL that the user will be taken to after a successful reset
- Protect admin users' passwords from resets
- Non-admin users in a specific group can reset non-admin users' passwords
- Configure whether the status of non-admin user password resets is shown
I reworked the installer package to make it more reliable as well. This disk image includes the source code for the project.
You can download the installer from: http://ps-enable.com/software/MOSXSWebPassword1.5.dmg