AFP548

Networked home directories and share points

On my server machine, I have two partitions. The OS runs on one, and I want home directories to be on the other. I created a directory on the other partition, /Volumes/Wyvern-300/u, which is where I wanted to put all the home directories. First I set /Volumes/Wyvern-300/u as a share point for home directories. Next I created my first user, Test1, and set his home directory in /Volumes/Wyvern-300/u/Test1. Then I went to another machine, configured LDAP, etc, and logged on as Test1. So far so good. Back on X Server, I created a second user, Test2, and indicated that user should also use /Volumes/Wyvern-300/u as the parent for his home directory. When I saved the user, /Volumes/Wyvern-300/u/Test2 was created, and I was able to log onto Test2 from the X Server machine. But when I went over to the client machine and tried to log onto Test2, it accepted/validated the password (good...) and then gave me an error message that it couldn't log in, the home directory was on an AFB or SMB mounted drive, and to contact my sysadmin. (That set a pretty piss-poor standard for an error message, telling me something I knew without telling me where to look!). After much experimenting and cursing, I discovered that things would work correctly if I created a second parent directory, /Volumes/Wyvern-300/u2, and then reset Test2's account to point to /Volumes/Wyvern-300/u2. The Test2 file was created in the new parent u2. Then I was able to log onto Test2 from my client machine, just like I expected. So is this how it's supposed to work??? From my very old SunOS experience, that's certainly not what I expected. It seems to be an unacceptable burden to define a new mount point/parent for each and every user account's home directory. Or might this be a configuration problem or even protection problem with the parent directory? Thanks in advance! dave
Exit mobile version