AFP548

Emulex switch (non-XSan), XServe, XRAID drives not mounting on reboot

I have two XServes, two XRAIDs, and a Tape Library (Exabyte 221L FC). Based on the documentation from Apple and Emulex's website, we have them setup in different zones like so: ZONE 1 XServe1 (Intel) Port 17 and 18 XRAID Port 1 and 2 Zone2 XServe2 (G5) Port 20 XRAID Port 4 and 5 Tape Drive Port 6 The Tape Library connects directly to the other Fibre port on XServe2 The problem is this. Whenever we have to restart either XServe, the XRAIDs do not mount automatically. Neither does the Tape Drive for XServe2. We have to pull the connector out of the Fibre Switch and reseat it. Then the drives typically mount (as does the Tape Drive). I say typically because sometimes it takes a few reboots and several reseatings to get this to work, but rarely does this occur. I have recently been told by TOLIS Group, that their preferred setup would be to put each of the XServe2's fibre ports into the switch and have the XRAID and the Tape Library & Drive on seperate zones. So that it would be something like XServe Port 20 & XRAID Port 4 and 5, and XServe Port 19 & Tape Library/Drive Port 6 and 7. So I guess you could say I have two questions. What do we need to do to get the drives to automatically mount? We are running Extensis Portfolio and it requires the drives be there when that process starts up, otherwise we have to restart it. Not an easy thing to do since it doesn't exactly have a great GUI interface. The other question is, how do you recommend we setup the switch with regards to zones to make things run the smoothest? In this case, we have to rescan our tapes every time we change tapes and it is possible that all of the above is related to this. If we don't rescan the tapes, backups typically fail. *sigh* But this is a side issue, and we can further investigate this once I have a better idea of the two above questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Keith
Exit mobile version